Friday, December 25, 2009

I need words

I am obsessed with photographs with words on them. And paired with some songtexts that are stuck in my head they are heartbreaking. These short phrases on the pics, or in songs, they are my lifesavers. I hold on to them, repeating the word like mantras.
"When we were teenagers we wanted to be the sky", written on a city background with a crane is just beautiful.
"Driving in your car I never, never want to go home .... And if doppeldecker bus crashes into us, to die by your side is such a heavenly way to die" (The Smiths - There's a light that never goes out)

"And you love like nobody around you, oh how you love and a halo surrounds you, le pastie de la bourgeoisie, in the autumn cool say cheerio to school" (Belle & Sebastian - Le pastie de la bourgeoisie)
"Oh well you know, there she goes a little heartache, there she goes a little pain ..." (Babyshambles - There she goes)



"Sunday morning, brings the dawning, it's just a restless feeling by my side, early dawning, sunday morning, it's just the wasted years so close behind" (The velvet underground & Nico - Sunday morning)




"Fall is here, hear the yell, back to school, ring the bell, brand new shoes, walking blues, climb the fence, books and pens, I can tell that we are going the be friends" (The White Stripes - We are going to be friends)

by valjusha

6 comments:

  1. Very interesting post, valjusha. I've never heard of this type of passion, obsession for images with text on them. Also, I have not paid much attention to text while photographing. But this post (especially that crane shot through a window) has got me thinking about new perspectives, so thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Above comment by valjusha)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not exactly the same but it just came to my mind: There is a Turkish artist called Burhan Doğançay who is fascinated by urban walls. He takes pictures of walls in cities all over the world, where people sprayed phrases and pictures, attached posters onto them and ripped them off again. And so on...

    http://www.artnet.com/usernet/awc/awc_workdetail.asp?aid=424600715&gid=424600715&cid=103105&wid=424642471&page=3
    There's a book of his photographs called "Walls of the world"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting, i'll check out his book sometime..

    bargayott

    ReplyDelete